Monday, February 9, 2009

Jesus as Life Coach

Using the New Testament, and specifically the teachings of Jesus, as a self help book is not without its controversies. Many "fundamentalist" Christians resist any effort of others that may be seen as reducing Jesus to simply a moral teacher. This is understandable since many non-Christians use Jesus the moral teacher as both a rationalization and objection. If you hear something along the lines "Jesus was a great teacher, so I can see why people admire him," it is often followed by the like of "if others need Jesus, that's cool - whatever works for them."

The problem, to many, is that when Jesus is seen primarily as teacher, then you can take what you like, leave what you don't, and continue living pretty much how you want.

I don't see it that way. While some people do come to the Christian faith by a radical Pauline conversion experience, many do so by slow acculturation or deliberate learning. The social teachings of Jesus, then, can be a great invitation for many to explore the Gospel. On the other end of the spectrum, many people who call themselves Christians could use a reminder that faith without works is dead, and that Jesus came not only to save souls, but to enrich and give purpose to our lives. We should avoid the temptation to reduce the New Testament Gospel as simply a collection social teachings, but if a person's faith is genuine then it should manifest itself, and the ideal is to be more Christ-like, more Christian.

So to unbelievers, new believers, and old believers alike, Jesus' teachings are a great thing. To believers he will remain infinitely more than simply a teacher, and to unbelievers, there is always the humble hope that he can become more than simply a teacher in their lives.

All that to mention a new book I just learned about, How to Argue Like Jesus. I don't know anything about the book, but the description is interesting and the reviews are positive. I thought others would be interested also.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jesus was a great teacher. And his life is a compelling study in virtue. But there are plenty of other examples of virtue and teaching across many religions. So what is it that sets Jesus apart?

For me I believe in God. It is my believe that Jesus was, in fact, the son of God. Therefore, I follow Jesus. That explanation is clean, logical and elegant, just like a geometry proof from 9th grade. Not to mention that Descartes and Aristotle would be proud of me.

But here's the rub - following Jesus is a Sisyphusian task, because no matter how hard I try, I'll never achieve his perfection. No matter how much my heart is in the right place, I'll still have ulterior motives. No matter how virtuous I act or sound, there will always be the dark secrets that I don't talk about or let folks know. I'm doomed to fail right out of the box.

But just when it seems hopeless and futile, I'm reminded of what, in my mind, is the most radical aspect of Jesus's life and ministry: Jesus didn't save his grace and love for the righteous or pious who had "earned" it. Instead he gave it to the most imperfect, undeserving people - prostitutes, hypocrites, crooked tax collectors, all the unsavories of his time (replace with your own personal list of untouchables).

Query: what would happen if I ever quit trying to act like *I think* Jesus would want me to act (or how I think others would expect a Christian to act) and, instead, I began acting as if the grace and mercy and love that I've received has actually registered with me. I bet it would prove out your your hypothesis that "if a person's faith is genuine then it should manifest itself."

Anonymous said...

One more thing, there are other great teachers and examples of virtue from outside religion, or who are not overtly religious. And then there is Ghandi, who said he was Hindu, Bhuddist and Christian in one breath (try to figure that one out).

Justus Hommes said...

Good insights, Dr. RosenRosen.

It's not all futility of course.

Virtue is certainly not reserved for Christians, or even the religious. My Christian faith, however, holds that Jesus provides the model and source of virtue.

Anonymous said...

My Chirstian faith is also the model and source of my virtue. But I'd be lying if I said that I don't regard Ghandi as a particular example worth studying. I honestly think he had a clearer sense of Christ's call than many Christians.

Anonymous? said...

Justus, did you ever read "How to Argue Like Jesus"? If so, what did you think?

Justus Hommes said...

I did read the book, it is still in one of the stacks on my bedside table. I really liked it. It begins with a study of the basics of classical rhetoric - ethos, pathos, logos - that draws on the Biblical examples of Jesus, and then goes into how Jesus grew sustained his message through discipleship.

While not quite life-changing, it was a very good read that has practical applications, as well as brings a new appreciation of just great a communicator Jesus was.