Thursday, August 20, 2009

Home Ownership: American Dream or Nightmare?

The Wall Street Journal makes a case for a renter society:

For most Americans, until the recent past, home ownership was a dream and the pile of rent receipts was the reality. From 1900, when the census first started gathering data on home ownership, through 1940, fewer than half of all Americans owned their own homes. Home ownership rates actually fell in three of the first four decades of the 20th century. But from that point on forward (with the exception of the 1980s, when interest rates were staggeringly high), the percentage of Americans living in owner-occupied homes marched steadily upward. Today more than two-thirds of Americans own their own homes. Among whites, more than 75% are homeowners today.

Yet the story of how the dream became a reality is not one of independence, self-sufficiency, and entrepreneurial pluck. It's not the story of the inexorable march of the free market. It's a different kind of American story, of government, financial regulation, and taxation.

We are a nation of homeowners and home-speculators because of Uncle Sam.

It wasn't until government stepped into the housing market, during that extraordinary moment of the Great Depression, that tenancy began its long downward spiral. Before the Crash, government played a minuscule role in housing Americans, other than building barracks and constructing temporary housing during wartime and, in a little noticed provision in the 1913 federal tax code, allowing for the deduction of home mortgage interest payments.

Until the early 20th century, holding a mortgage came with a stigma. You were a debtor, and chronic indebtedness was a problem to be avoided like too much drinking or gambling. The four words "keep out of debt" or "pay as you go" appeared in countless advice books. As the YMCA told its young charges, "If you can't pay, don't buy. Go without. Keep on going without." Because of that, many middle-class Americans—even those with a taste for single-family houses—rented. Home Sweet Home didn't lose its sweetness because someone else held the title



Mrs. Hommes and I have a mortgage on a house. Emotionally, we both like the house, the neighborhood, the history, and share an optimism about the home's possibilities. Where we disagree is that I, in retrospect, look at our decision to purchase the house, or any house for that matter, as a hasty, if not mistaken, financial decision.

Don't get me wrong. We are (thankfully) able to handle the finances, and prices in our area seem to be holding up remarkably well in the current environment. I even think in the long run we may benefit. Still, I confess that I was drawn in by the lure of "ownership" without properly weighing the benefits, consequences, and timing of such an important decision. We basically bought a house because we assumed that's what newlyweds were supposed to do.

Helping me to realize my foolishness was Mr. Financial Doom himself, Peter Schiff. Specifically, it was a speech he gave last year for the Austrian Scholars Conference in which he made a very important and foundational point about real estate that is all too often not understood - real estate is a function of rents! The transcript from the speech can be a little difficult to follow because of Schiff's erratic style, but he makes the point well through heavy use of example and sarcasm:

During the real-estate bubble, I remember, I was renting houses — and I'm still renting my house now in Connecticut — and I would go and I would go to houses for rent.

And I remember one time I went and there was a house for rent. I looked at it and the realtor was there. And, apparently, the person who was renting it out was an investor who just bought the place.

And I asked them what was the rent. I forget what it was. Maybe it was $4,000 a month, whatever it was for this place. And I knew. I said, "Well, what'd the guy pay for this? What'd he pay?" I said, "Well, how could he make any money renting it out to me? Isn't this going to lose money? Doesn't he have negative cash flow?"

He said, "Well, yeah, he loses a couple thousand dollars a month." And I said to him, "But you recommended this as an investment?" He said, "Yeah."

"But why would you recommend, as an investment property, a property that has a negative cash flow? Why would you have him buy it?"

And he said, "Well, you don't understand, this property's going to appreciate. This property could double in the next couple years."

And I said, "Why? Why would it double? You can't even cash flow it positive at the price it's at now. How's it going to go up in value?"

And I said, "Real estate is a function of rents." And then the guy said to me — same thing — he said, "You don't understand real estate." He was telling me that rents don't matter to real estate.

...

I did the same thing, when I rented my apartment. After I got divorced, I was renting an apartment in Stamford, and — beautiful apartment, right on the water. I had my boat there. Beautiful views of the Sound. Right on the corner.

Great unit, beautiful building. I had a concierge. It had a pool; it had covered parking; it was a security building; it had racquetball courts, had a gym with a trainer on staff; a lot of amenities.

Right next door, there were maybe 20-year-old townhomes for sale. And I went to one of the open houses just for kicks.

And there was a unit on sale, whatever they wanted, five or six hundred thousand dollars for this unit, that was about the same square footage as what I was renting, but it had no view of the water; it was dark, it was old, there was no security; it had none of the amenities. Yet the property taxes and maintenance fees alone were like a thousand dollars a month.

And by the time I would have paid the mortgage, if that's how I financed it, I would have been spending more money per month to live in one of these little places than this really nice apartment that I was renting, right next door.

And I asked the realtor, I said, "Why would anybody buy this place? You can just rent right next door. There's more units available; I know, I just rented." And the lady said to me, "Well, but when you rent, when you move out, you're not going to have any equity."

I said, "Well, what do you mean?" She says, "Well, when you buy this property, then it appreciates, and then you can sell it when you move out and you make money."

And I said, "Well, why the hell should it appreciate? Didn't you understand? It's already overpriced; you can rent right next door. Why should it go up?" And she said, "Well, that's how real estate works."

I said, "So, you mean the way real estate works is I have to sacrifice; I have to turn down the opportunity to live in a really nice place; I live in this dump for a while and because I did that, I make money. And somebody else is going to come to me a year or two from now and overpay by even more and say, 'I don't want to live in that nice place next door, I'd rather pay more to live here because this is going to appreciate'."

And they totally forgot what real estate meant. Real estate's a place to live. But everybody thought it was going to go up, so they were all crazed.



After thinking about this a while, I took a look at the Hommes budget and calculated how much we paid in interest, property taxes, home insurance, maintenance, and oh yeah, let's not forget that minuscule amount that actually goes to principle, and it started to sink in. Either (a) We will be making these payments for the next 20 or so years (give or take), at which point we will be the proud owners of an 80 year old house, or (b) we will move at some point and be fortunate to recapture a small percentage (especially after all fees and commission) of all the payments made.

Please forgive my pessimism. I do love my house. BUT in a society that has the average family moving every 5-6 years, what are the chances we will stay in the same place for the length it takes to pay the mortgage and then longer? And how much major work and updating will it require along the way?

Doing the math is hard, especially because of the complication of taxes and incentives, but it seems to work out in most cases that by renting modestly, and then squirreling away all the money that would have gone to the taxes, maintenance, commissions/fees, etc., a disciplined couple can save enough money to retire earlier that they otherwise would have, and pay cash for a house wherever they want to grow old and die.

Sure this takes away the possibility of winning the real estate lottery and owning a property that appreciates exponentially, BUT by renting provides a lot of flexibility, requires a lot less responsibility, and someone else pays for the new water heater when the old one gos kaput.

Renting may indeed be a sensible and more low-risk path to the American dream.

8 comments:

Anonymous? said...

I like this post a lot, and think it brings up some good points. People are not generally wise with their finances, and often chase quick returns without evaluating risk.

For discussion's sake though, I would like to question something based on the excerpt "After thinking about this a while, I took a look at the Hommes budget and calculated how much we paid in interest, property taxes, home insurance, maintenance, and oh yeah, let's not forget that minuscule amount that actually goes to principle, and it started to sink in."

We all know that interest is the beast that costs us. That is why in my opinion (I'm sure you agree) that you should stay to fixed rates, 15 yr when possible, and avoid financing above 80%. But the interest, especially for the early portion of the loan is usually like 80% of the payment. So are you saying that if your mortgage is 1,000 a month (for round numbers) and 800 of that is interest that you think you could rent for 200? Chances are that you are probably going to rent for about 1,000 also, so the interest is not really an extra expense because you can't really save that difference. I don't think that saving property taxes and repair expenses alone are enough to counterbalance the long term appreciation. Don't forget about renter's insurance either. I think I might be missing your point though. Help me out.

The point about moving every 5-6 years is true. Most of the time that is costing more than not (don't forget closing costs). I would counter that if you buy a home for a long term investment, and do it smartly you are going to come out ahead more often than not. Real Estate does gain value over time in almost every instance, but the key is over time. It isn't like buying a car where you always get depreciation.

However, your post addresses an important issue, and an issue that has caused our nation significant stress by ignoring it. Houses are not a get rich quick scheme and there are many times when it is better to rent. Like I said, I like this post, and look forward to discussing it.

Justus Hommes said...

In your scenario of a $1000 mortgage, you have my point backwards. I was actually saying that one could rent the place for about the same amount (80-95%) that one would normally "lose" to interest, so the actual amount invested (the 5-20% principal or savings), would be the same.

Renter's insurance only cover your stuff, whereas homeowners covers your stuff and the structure, big difference.

I agree that long term, if you buy and hold the same property, you will likely come out ahead. The question is, had you rented and put the savings into an alternative investment, could you come out even farther ahead?

Anonymous? said...

I knew I was missing your math somehow. Agreed, renter's insurance is certainly not as expensive as homeowners. You raise a good question, would you come out farther ahead if you rent. I would go back to my point about buying wisely. I think it generally better to rent if you don't have a down payment and aren't getting a fixed rate. And to Schiff's point there is a lot of misinformation and flat bad information that hoodwink people into investments they shouldn't make. How many foreclosures do we have right now?

I wonder if there are any statistics that compare average real estate appreciation vs the stock market. For me personally, I would want to go with a home purchase just because I don't know if I would be disciplined enough to invest that $200 every month, and with my experience real estate has done well. But that's just me. Your question is one that is rarely raised, but should probably be considered before any purchase.

Lumbee said...

Loathsome....real estate appreciates 3-5% per year. This is a pretty standard rate. Now obviously that is not happening now, but alas, five years ago it was more like 10-15%!!!
Many of the numbers that he points out are not true. In Tallahassee, for example. You can buy a 100,000 townhome, with 20% down, brand spanking new, and with principal, interest, taxes and insurance your monthlies are roughly 800. Now that townhome, which is most likely a 2 bed 2 bath will rent for about 1000 per month. They usually rent in about 3 weeks. Not bad.

These numbers are very accurate. For Tallahassee that is. I am a realtor and have a little experience in this!

So, who makes out better in this scenario? Buyer or Renter? Over say the next 8 years?

The problem with bonehead's erratic statements is he doesn't take into account actual good investments. It's all about actually doing your homework. Purchasing a home, with 20% down minimum, is a good investment. If done with research. There is risk! But, without risk, you will not get ahead!

Justus Hommes said...

I am not sure who you are calling names, but as a realtor, you know that all real estate is local. Both your examples and Schiff's could be correct. You have the added benefit of using an example in a non-major metro area after 2-3 years of major price declines. I could further muddy the water with my example of a house across the street that is listing for 285,000 (was bought 5 years ago) and has a lease option for 1,300 per month. All it would do was muddy the water, though. Reality is likely somewhere in the middle, and that is the point I (at least) was trying to make. As you saidn any investment is a risk, and for much of the last decade, it was viewed as an unquestioned sure thing assumption that prices would only go up.
The

Lumbee said...

Agreed. I was calling Shiff names. Don't like him very much. Consider him arrogant and a whole lot of weird.
You know, I am glad the real estate market crashed. It desperately needed to. It was artificially inflated, due to way too much government involvement.
But, in the long term, I find that with much market study, the real estate investment tends to be one of the safest investments of all.

As you even stated, you will come out ahead. My guess is this, that if you run the numbers...by the time you actually sell your home...you will find that investing the same out of pocket money in other investments will not yeild you the same results as a real estate investment.

Again all investments carry risk, but with planning and research, I think you will find that real estate carries one of the larger benifits to the risk involved. After all, God is not making any more real estate on this Earth any time soon.

Anonymous? said...

Lumbee, to your last comment. Didn't you see the new Superman movie? Lex Luther was clearly creating more real estate with his Krypton Island.

Lumbee said...

Dang. Forgot about that. I stand corrected.

By the way, was it just me or was that the worst Superman yet?

Reminds me of Arnold in Batman....how did that go Loathsome?