Friday, July 17, 2009

How to Review a Book

Put it in front of you, close your eyes and try to perceive what may interest you about it. Then write about yourself


So says Pierre Bayard, "distinguished" professor of literature at Paris University, in his bestselling book, Comment Parler des Livres que l’on n’a pas Lus (How to Talk about Books that You Haven’t Read).

I freely admit that the list of classics and/or popular books that I have not read far outweighs the list of books that I have. Furthermore, many of the "great" books I have read were so long ago and in compulsory environments that I can barely remember anything about them. I imagine this is likely the case for 99.99% of people. So why does everyone feel so compelled to maintain an intellectual facade and pretend the can discuss books they have never read? I don't understand the guilt, yet I feel its pangs as much as anyone.

I enjoy the challenge of tackling both classics and bestsellers, trying to understand novels not only on their own terms, but also trying to appreciate why they are considered successful. But in reality, my reading habit is scattershot and irregular at best, and I often prefer to read non-fiction.

I plowed through Infinite Jest when it came out, including all the end notes, but failed to read any of the Harry Potter books. I read my first Grisham book (The Appeal) only after I heard him speak in person, but I blazed through the Dan Brown thrillers one after another (Digital Fortress sucks!). In terms of classics, I am probably somewhere in the twenties of the books I have read from the Modern Library Top 100, Time Top 100, or Newsweek's All-Time Top 100. Sad, I know. I hope to get to many more of the classics in time, but the list of great books I haven't read will always be bigger than the list of those I have. C'est la vie.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Some would say what makes a great book is how much you enjoy it.

Thus, the argument that classics are classics because so many people -- even many generations -- have enjoyed a particular book.

By this reasoning, you are merely looking for enjoyment based on the recommendation of others, albeit some of them dead, but hey if word of mouth lasts that long it must be a good story. . .

I don't know why scholarship tries so hard to take something fundamentally exciting and turn it dull and dry.

Shakespeare is nothing but violence, sex, murder, jealousy, ambition, and muddled romantic triangles -- same thing we pay ten bucks to watch in the movies.

If you like that kind of thing. And Dracula was basically an excuse to read erotica without acknowledging it in polite society.

Dickens -- political commentary and social satire

But my favorites, and I really really recommend these -- Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander series. These are truly great books, brilliantly written, authentic, and full of adventure. Seriously. I love these characters like I've never loved a movie or actor.

Not to throw any more guilt your way, Justus -- just to share the enjoyment :)

Lumbee said...

I must say I agree on the Patrick O'brian books. I think they are alot of fun, and very educational. You actually learn where we get our term "poop"!
However, I highly recommend the Harry Potter books. They are very cool. I say that as a full grown 35 year old man who loves football, politics, America, and Apple Pie...I have no shame.
And, Grisham...read them all...try "A Painted House" off the legal subject, but fantastic.

Dr. RosenRosen said...

Justus, don't beat yourself up. I think we all have a stack of unread - or worse - unfinished masterpieces that reach shoulder level. And this is a testimony to humanity's indomitable will to create.

But reviewing these lists of the "top 100s" I am reminded of a recent conversation with JB. One of my favorite authors (who I had largely forgotten) is Walker Percy. The Moviegoer is fantastic, but I rather prefer Love in the Ruins, mainly because of an encounter I had with this masterpiece while in college. It wasn't so much the book itself - I'm far to dense to fully comprehend the wondrous beauty of a fine piece of fiction - but rather the teacher that first required the reading, then required the understanding and then, further still, required me to actually THINK about what I was reading. For that, I am truly grateful Thank you Dr. Wood, Dr. Lewis, Mrs. Dickson, Mrs. Peeler, and Mrs. Talley, and Coach Gillespie. I am truly thankful for the educators that sought to call forth from me the effort that I wouldn't otherwise have put forth to tackle some of the works on these lists (and others that I cherish as much). I only hope that my own son is blessed with such educators that will simultaneously challenge and inspire.

This comes round to your earlier post about education and incentives. Far too few - at times inclusive of myself - fail to fully appreciate that curiosity and study are their own rewards.