Friday, April 3, 2009

Lent and Humility

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.


-Shakespeare, MacBeth, Act5, Scene 5



I use this blog as my personal soapbox and online diary, and I very much appreciate the friends that read and comment. While it is a creative, intellectual, and social outlet, I want to take this opportunity to affirm the reality that I, like most, am a mostly ignorant being, the subjects I understand a little about being greatly outweighed by those I don't. Furthermore, what information I have digested has been processed in a highly subjective, biased, and often irrational manner. Let this post serve as a disclaimer to the opinions otherwise freely and forcefully expressed on this blog.

I say this not with false humility hoping to appear gracious or receive affirmation. Trust me, my ego is in no danger of deflation. Still, working toward a more realistic assessment of self has its own rewards. Humility encourages an open mind that is more willing to learn, reason, work through adversity, and accept change. Also, lowering the importance of personal accomplishments, education, and affiliations makes valuing and accepting those with more or less visible accouterments of success much easier.

Lent is a great time to remember the blessing of humility, whether through introspection, humor, or discipline. I hope to do a better job throughout the year.

So be content with who you are, and don't put on airs. God's strong hand is on you; he'll promote you at the right time. Live carefree before God; he is most careful with you.

- 1 Peter 5:6-7, The Message

3 comments:

Dr. RosenRosen said...

Justus, I really needed that last paragraph and the quotation from 1 Peter.

Thanks, and remember that the Carmel Machiatos that you gave up for lent (you know the ones with the extra whip - DON'T ACT LIKE YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT) are just a week away...

JB said...

Your point is much more profound than this, but knowing what a Cafe Hayek fan you are, I think you will find a lot to like in this episode of EconTalk from January. Russ Roberts makes a very similar call for humility and open-mindedness in our intercourse with others, albeit from a more pragmatic angle.
http://www.econtalk.org/archives/2009/01/roberts_and_han.html

Justus Hommes said...

JB, Listening now - interesting. "People like to appeal to data, but it is to easy to make up data that fit whatever you like."

Dr. RR, I prefer Caribou Coffee. I gave up exercise for Lent. I know, it was tough for me ;-)