Wednesday, January 28, 2009

On Not Blogging.

Busy. Overwhelmed. Distracted. Annoyed. Those are just a few of the reasons I have not posted in over a week. So I'll try to make up for lost time a little bit. But before I begin, let me give perhaps a more honest reason.

I don't know what to make of the new President.

For all my liberal and/or Democratic friends that may read this, please continue to love me, be my friend, and understand it may be a personal flaw I am working through. The fact is, I just never caught Obama-mania.

That said, I am glad Obama won instead of McCain. Conservative/Republican friends, please continue reading.

Honestly, I didn't see enough difference between them in their actual politics, so I figure it would be best to let the Democrat enact Democratic Party policies instead of a Republican. That, and I hold out a shred of hope that the Presidency can at some point in our near future revert to more of a constitutionally limited position, in which case it would be great to have a charismatic, diplomatic, and youthful leader giving brilliant speaches as opposed to an old, ailing curmudgeon.

In any event, I do wish President Obama well. All the media genuflection over Obama was entirely predicatable given the current era of extreme sensationalism and dead-horse flogging, but Obama can't really be blamed for that. Still, one of the main reasons I didn't post is that almost everthing I was reading was Obama-related, and I am 1) over it and 2) taking a wait and see approach.

Really, the more I read history, philosophy, religous texts, and current news/views, the more convinced I am that the best government systems will not work if its people are morally bankrupt and the best economic policies will not work if people refuse to play by the rules and consider the common good. So while I enjoy, and will continue, posting on government and economics, I will try to keep the human element center stage in my mind, if not in my posts.

No comments: